a cozy classic
Here at Don Juan Chiles, although we are a proudly Hispanic owned and operated business, our company has grown to include people from all different backgrounds. One of our marketing interns, Jacob, a senior at CU-Boulder, brings his Jewish background to our business. This recipe comes from his family’s tradition.
Nothing says Jewish Deli quite like a hearty chicken noodle soup. This is a staple of Eastern European Jewish cuisine – many families have their own prized recipes, tried and tweaked through experience. That is exactly how this recipe came to be.
Using an assortment of Don Juan Chiles products, the everyday chicken noodle soup can rise to a new level of flavor and shareability.
We hope you enjoy this take on an all –time classic.
- 2 Don Juan Chiles Guajillo Peppers
- 2 tsp Don Juan Chiles Chimayo Chile Powder
- 2 tbsp Don Juan Chiles Granulated Garlic
- 1 tbsp Don Juan Chiles Basil
- 1 tbsp Don Juan Chiles Ground Thyme
- 1 tbsp Don Juan Chiles Rosemary
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cubes broth – 1 chicken, 1 vegetarian
- 2 tbsp Don Juan Chiles Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Don Juan Chiles Celery Salt
- 1 Don Juan Chiles Bay Leaf
- 2 dashes of Don Juan Chiles Caribe Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Don Juan Chiles Garlic Salt
- 1 half squeezed lemon about 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 cup egg noodles
- 2 cups frozen carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower mix
- ½ lb. Boneless chicken (optional, for vegan or vegetarian)
thoughts before starting
Cubes can be substituted for broth – 1 cup of broth equals one cube. Adjust water levels accordingly. Our recommendation is to use cubes instead of broth to keep the flavor lighter, but the recipe works great either way.
Although it may seem counterintuitive, you can make a perfectly good chicken soup without chicken! This cuts down the prep time by up to 30 minutes and can satisfy Jewish kosher food standards, as well as vegan and vegetarian friends and family.
what you will need
- 1 large soup pot with lid
- 2 cutting boards
- 1 large knife
- 1 fork
- Measuring cup
- Half fill a large pot with water and broth and add oil and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- As the water is heating up, add assorted seasonings and herbs.
- Add chicken and let it simmer with the pot uncovered for 20-25 minutes until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Add celery, tomatoes, potatoes, and onions.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove it to shred it into pieces with a fork and knife.
- Add vegetable mix. Let it cook until they are soft and ready to eat.
- Finally, add egg noodles. When the egg noodles are soft and done cooking, the soup will be cooked to perfection.
- Let soup cool a bit and then serve.
This soup makes perfect leftovers – store in an airtight glass container in the fridge and enjoy for up to 4 days after you first make it.