In recent years, many have opted to trade in their morning hot brewed cup of coffee for a cup of iced coffee. The bravest among us have gone all the way up to cold brew, a hyper-concentrated form of coffee that promises to keep your eyes open on a long meeting day.
Not to mention, with 24 hours to brew, cold brew coffee picks up a lot more flavor than regular coffee, letting you appreciate parts of the bean that you never knew were there.
Best of all, cold brew is easy to make once you have your setup ready and stores well, making it a go-to that lasts a while in the fridge, so that you can start the day with the perfect kick.
thoughts before starting
What kind of flavor do you want in your cold brew coffee? With cold brew, less is more because the flavor is so concentrated from the 24 hour brew cycle.
Coffees with less added flavor will taste best as a cold brew. (Try Starbucks Breakfast Blend)
what you will need
- 2, 3 qt mixing bottles
- 1 French press
- 1 gallon beverage dispenser
- Measuring spoon set
- A fork or knife
- Add 6 oz ground coffee to each mixing bottle.
- Add 1 tsp ground clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg to each mixing bottle.
- Fill both bottles to the full 3 oz line.
- Stir with a fork or knife to ensure that the coffee has mixed well.
- Close the top of the bottles. Shake each one well to further ensure that they mix.
- Put bottles in the fridge and let them sit for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove mixing bottles from the fridge.
- Open them and stir again with a fork or knife to ensure that no coffee has congregated at the top of the bottle.
- One at a time, pour the mixes into a French press.
- Press the coffee and pour the powderless liquid into the beverage dispenser.
- Between each pour, rinse the French press in the sink to get the ground coffee off of it.
- Repeat until there is no more coffee in either mixing container, and the beverage dispenser is full of delicious, French pressed cold brew.
how to Enjoy a glass of cold brew
Depending on your preference, either drink your cold brew black without ice for maximum strength, or add one part coffee one part ice water. Enjoy!